The Certified Functional Medicine And Trauma Specialist (CFMTS) certification is to demonstrate knowledge of the Certified Functional Medicine And Trauma Specialist (CFMTS).
This Certification is intended for the professional who needs a knowledge base about trauma and the potential medical complications of trauma, toxic stress and repeated adversity. It examines what medical stabilization would be needed to help the trauma client resolve trauma and the physiological medical complications that often arise.
As in all education-based certifications, this certification does not convey that the certified person has more skill or greater capacity, it only warrants that the certified person has completed the educational requirements for this certification. This Certification is reflective of a recognition that there are real and frequent medical ramifications to the person experiencing trauma, toxic stress and adversity.
This certification addresses the educational information related to the therapeutic complexities that show up with clients who have experienced repeated relational violations, such as difficulty with trust, boundary violations and early attachment related issues.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS CERTIFICATION DOES NOT INCLUDE THE COURSE. YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE THE COURSE SEPARATELY.
Professional standards required for certification
State or Nationally licensed as a (or equivalent if practicing outside of the United States):
- Medical professional
- Clinical Social Worker
- Licensed Professional Counselor
- Marriage and Family Therapist
- Licensed Masters level addiction counselor
- Psychiatric Nurse
- BSN nurses
- Registered nurses and LPNs
The applicant must:
- Be in good standing with the State Board that licenses him/her, including not being on probationary status for any reason.
- Not having been ethically or professionally denied application to or renewal of his/her professional membership in local, state, or national associations to which he/she is qualified within the past 5 years.
Educational standards required for certification
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in a mental health related field, medicine, addiction (or equivalent if practicing outside of the United States)
- Copies of completion of professional training in countries that do not require licensure and evidence that the meet the Educational Standards for practice within their country
- Payment of certification application fee